Sunday, September 29, 2013

Travel Notes...Texas

[ Clearing the draft archives. Great trip. I should do it again. Note: in the "Fifth" part, I say paraphrasing, but from what my dim memories tell me, this was pretty accurate. The "taste of a mule" I definitely remember. The exchange was particularly memorable because it was broadcast as not part of a blooper reel. ]

Some remarkable things on a trip to Austin.

First, I find it a sign of the times that neither I nor my friend I was visiting mentioned directions in any of our conversations/emails. She (presumably) assumed I'd be okay since I had been there once before. I had, but I had flown, she had done all the driving, and I certainly hadn't been memorizing anything (this is not to say she should have known that since she has many visitors, I'm just saying that I didn't know where I was going because of the previous trip). But, even if I had been there before, it has never been the case before now that I was visiting anyone and "Do you know where you're going?" or "Where do I go now?" or a variation thereof was not brought up. It was just assumed by both of us that I'd find my way via google maps or similar.

Second, for the first time ever, I saw something being hauled under a vehicle. Someone had a van with some sort of long bar(s) attached via rope to the bumpers. The bars were longer than the van by some inches and bowed quite a bit in the middle, but seemed secure enough. Apparently, they didn't want to crush the roof of the van so they strapped 'em underneath.

Third, a guy (or gal) passed me on I-35 in Dallas doing about 90 mph in a 70 zone. The odd thing was that they had their hazards on. I don't know if this is code for "Hey, I'm (she's) about to give birth, get outta the way" or just to help people notice that someone's screaming up on their tailside or what, but certainly peculiar.

Fourth, Oklahoma had signs on the interstate saying "Don't drive into smoke." Where does that even come from? The brain boggles on the origin and target audience implications.

Fifth, I was listening to some humorous fellows on the radio who were reporting from Cowboys camp. One guy was wandering around on the field looking for interviewees and another couple of guys were up in a booth somewhere. This is a paraphrasing of a part of their conversation:
Booth Guy A: "Hey, talk to her"
Field Guy: "You have the taste of a mule" (!!)
Booth Guy A: "Gimme a break, I can't tell from way up here"
Field Guy: "She works for the Cowboys, what are you thinking?"
Apparently, there is no attractive woman that works for the Cowboys. Maybe Jerry keeps 'em ugly cuz he's so nasty looking.
Also, Field Guy apparently likes to run the gags on players, since one guy was looking at his ID, and when called on it, said something like, "Well, I'm trying to see if you're that guy that was asking the weird questions before." Booth Guy made it seem like he was busted. Booth Guy also likes to tell Field Guy weird questions to ask while Field Guy is in the middle of interviewing.

Sixth, saw a great limestone cavern. I highly recommending caving whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment